Tuesday 2 September 2014

Introductory Biography



First and foremost, thank you FIL for accepting me onto the committee at the conference in June, I’m looking forward to getting involved now summer is almost in the rear view mirror (having left a gaping wound in my annual leave!).  
Pixabay


For my first ever blog post (ever) I have been asked to write a biography to introduce myself. This involves enlarging my digital footprint, previously weighing in at a measly 2 out of a possible 60, as I currently fall into the ‘no engagement with social media, product reviews, comments, blogs’ category and am amongst the diminishing number of people in the UK who do not use internet on their smartphone. Why? I’m not a dinosaur (honestly!); I see its benefits (I do!). However, there is no straightforward answer to that question. I’ll settle with, for the moment at least, perhaps the cyber-social-banter-bug has not bitten my proverbial as yet; perhaps blogging for FIL this week will stimulate the desire to nurture my, hitherto unreleased, inner cyber-social-banter-blogger. Alternatively, perhaps FIL will be so scarred the committee will refrain from asking me to blog ever again; which will, in due course, scar me from ever attempting to blog ever again! (If you’re seeing this, it can’t be that bad, though I may of course, have been asked to edit. ;)

Anyway, to return to the point of this post (if I ever really started it to begin with).…My name is Claudia Howard, my age will be admitted if you ask directly in person, I come from a family hotel business background, which made for an interesting/amusing/ enlightening/some may say crazy upbringing (which could go some way towards explaining the tone of this blog post).



I began academic ‘stuff’ as a mature student (of technical age, not mind and spirit – never mind and spirit!) inspired by a visit to the land down under, the books placed into my hands on the way, and the ones that fell into my lap on my return to the land of the dragon (erm, Wales). Which books/authors? Paolo Coelho, Kahlil Gibran, Hemmingway, Huxley, Kerouac, a number of Herman Hesse’s books, including Steppenwolf, The Glass Bead Game and Siddhartha, Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm, Hobbes’ Leviathan, Plato’s Republic, the list goes on...
 

The only way forward to feed the knowledge was English literature and its broad scope of, amongst other things, politics, philosophy, theology, and sociology. It consumed and fed me simultaneously for four and a half years – my undergrad unearthed a love for Renaissance literature and philosophy, and before I knew it I was trundling down the road of a Master’s degree.

With a career goal absent from my mind when choosing degree courses (OK, truth is I couldn’t get a job I wanted with English degrees, not for lack of trying!), I turned my focus towards a Postgraduate Diploma in Business with Consumer Psychology (still with no career goal in mind). As a result, I was appointed Project Officer for the North Wales Libraries Partnership (NWLP; funded by the Welsh Government) in 2008. My remit expanded in 2010, and I am currently the NWLP Partnership Support Officer. Key objectives of my role include: 

-   Expanding LINC y Gogledd the regional cross-sector ILL consortium (partners lend books for free; more about LINC in my next FIL blog post);

-   Delivering training, handling marketing elements, management research (lots of stats!);

-   Identifying and delivering strategic and developmental objectives for the NWLP and LINC and working on collaborative initiatives with a number of varied cross-sector partners.

I am currently Chair of the LINC Group, a member of the NWLP Executive Committee, Wales’ National Libraries Marketing Group, the North and Mid Wales Reaching Wider Regional Operations Group, and, perhaps somewhat randomly for a semi-librarian (end of MSc in sight!), the Welsh Government Pollinators Taskforce (stems – no pun intended – from the North Wales Libraries and Planting for Pollinators project in 2013), and, now, the FIL Committee.
I worked in Bangor University Library and Archives Service for eight years, mainly on desk services, but also in academic support, and, as a result of breaking a bone, I helped with administration, reclassification and e-resources, and was able to develop and deliver a successful community engagement project for primary schools (over 350 children spent a day in the university library and archives examining collections, creating PowerPoint presentations, listening to mini-lecture, handling rare and archival books, storytelling, it was fab – the children even said so on their surveys!!!). I was a member of the international and marketing teams, and involved with community engagement activities, celebration events and widening access projects.



Outside the obvious (e.g. family, friends, pets, good food, Lindt chocolate, hot weather, travelling and shoes), what do I love? To name but a few: Adrenalin. Skydiving. Skiing. Music, listening to it, making it, playing it on the harmonica/attempting to play it on the keyboard. Outdoors stuff. Bees, bugs and butterflies. Big cats. Nice aftershave. Qigong. Thinking. Writing poetry when I get time. Organisation. Paradise Lost. Shakespeare, Dickens, Hesse. Good art! Lost, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, West Wing, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead (too many to mention, keep ‘em coming!). Bluestone 42, Plebs, Bad Education, Freshers, Siblings (keep ‘em coming too!), Fawlty Towers (home from home), Blackadder, Laurel and Hardy, Disney and Dreamworks… this list could be endless so think that’s enough now! Probably enough six or so paragraphs ago...

Signing out,

C. Howard 

(this post has just grown my digital footprint by about 10 feet!) 



Photo Credits:
Panther:  <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_mcadam/2860512301/">Hello, I am Bruce</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">cc</a>
Butterfly: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbradbury/2745513954/">Chris@184</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>   
Diversion: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/pasotraspaso/4934310464/">pasotraspaso</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>
Ayre's Rock: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/karen_mcallister_photography/3868893082/">Mrs Mac2007</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>




No comments:

Post a Comment