Wednesday 21 January 2015

ILL goes on a ‘Speed Update’



The New Year is a good time to try new things, and last week I was invited to take interlending on a ‘speed update’.  The New Year has brought several small changes to procedure so it was a good opportunity to inform of my colleagues of these changes.  The world of ‘speed updating’ was new to me so I needed some advice form colleagues.   There were only two rules for ‘speed updating’
                       
·        You only had 5minutes to get your points across
·        How you did this had to be creative

With help from my manager I opted for a storytelling approach.  To give you a flavour of what this entailed my opening sentence was ‘Once upon a time there were Inter-library loans staff at LSE Library who were keen to develop and improve their services’.  My manager did a prezi presentation to get the key points across in a visual way to complement the storytelling.  I practiced the presentation a few times with a stopwatch to make sure it would fit into the allotted 5 minutes.

The hardest part of the day was keeping my voice going.  I ended up having to do the 5 minute presentation 10 times as there were 5 teams for each updater to see and a morning and afternoon session.  Once the presentations were over tea and cake were provided for a networking session.  This was a chance to chat to colleagues that I don’t often see.



Picture from LSE Library Staff Bulletin


It was rewarding to see colleagues from all parts of the library engage with interlending.  The questions asked showed the interest there was in interlending, and that the value of the service is recognised by many. 

Happy New Year to all ILLers.

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment