Tuesday 31 March 2015

Bank holidays

It's that time of year again so had to add the daffodils.  I love the start of Easter as it means that we have all the bank holidays to look forward to.  Work is so much better when you have the Monday off!
In Public Library Land the last few weeks of March tend to be quite manic. I manage the stock budget for Swansea Libraries so I've been trying to make sure that all my subscriptions are paid, a couple of standing orders are paid whilst I've got a budget.

We've been quite lucky up until now and haven't had to face too many cutbacks but they are now kicking in. My budget is being cut for the next financial year so I'm having to revise how we spend our money. Joining  Books4U , which is an Inter Library Loan scheme between libraries in South East Wales,  has made a huge difference to our ILL budget. We have a man in a van going round all the authorities twice a week picking up and dropping off requests. The cost of running the scheme is split between us based on population and usage.

I'm really looking forward to this years' conference in June. Lots of people have already signed up so don't forget to book before 17th April to take advantage of the early bird price of £245.  It's an absolute bargain as the Midland Hotel has an excellent reputation.

Happy Easter everyone and look forward to seeing you all in Manchester!


No comments:

Post a Comment