Friday 15 May 2015

To Blog or not To Blog?






Apologies for 'altering' two famous quotes but they have been, in the end my only inspiration for this blog!

I've sat with blank page in front of me for most of the week trying to decide what on earth I could blog about that would be of interest to the ILL community. 

The answer - nothing!

I thought about telling you what we do here in Hertfordshire on a daily basis - but probably because it's our daily work, I can't think how to make it exciting.

I thought about some of the unusual successes we've had tracking down books - but when one has writers block, nothing seems to come to mind.

I thought about plugging the FIL Conference - but then we have blogged that recently.



I thought about plugging the other FIL benefits, the website, the members area, the facebook page, the journal, the twitter account, the FIL@BL and FIL@BLDSC days - but then - oh hang on, I've just plugged them!

So, ultimately this blog is about blogging. What is blogging and why do it?  Is it just vanity writing, a way of advertising yourself and what you do? Or is it a good way of getting a message across to people?

Getting your message across is very likely true for a number of people but that also depends on you having a good following of people reading your blog, otherwise it is just you writing for yourself, isn't it?

Reading other blogs over the years, I think a large number are just vanity ramblings for people who want an audience and want every body else to know who they are and what they are up to. That is something that this blog certainly isn't - I hope, or is it and that's why we don't have a huge following or lots of FIL members coming forward to blog for us.

So if you have something ILL you wish to share with us all or maybe if you just want to get yourself out there for the world to read, blog for us. Please don't just leave it to the committee, I for one am rapidly running out of ideas! 

So blog over with, rambling finished - I'll now disappear into the 'real world' and probably think of a fascinating subject to blog - but I can always come back and blog another time.

Thanks for reading and if you think you can do better (but lets face it - anybody can do better than this blog), get in touch and blog for us.

Tracey
FIL Vice Chair & Marketing Officer
Hertfordshire Libraries

ps Don't forget you can still book your place at the Conference!  (well I had to get a plug in there somewhere)


No comments:

Post a Comment