Tuesday 24 September 2013

Thoughts of a FIL Committee member and ILL Bodd.

As part of the FIL committee I was asked to write a blog for our FIL Blog - but what to write? I decided to 'Google' for help on writing a blog, never having written one before. Found an 'expert' who has written some rules titled 'How to Write a Blog...'

So, good place to start, these are the rules:

When Writing a Blog Do …

Find your focus
To do this, you must first ask yourself this question: Who are your target readers? 
Okay, I know that one - FIL members and other ILL bods - that's an easy one!

Be relatable, be yourself
Let your readers get to know you.
Okay, so I need to let you know who I am...hmm how much information is good to put out there? Well, I'm a FIL Committee member on my second go on the Committee. The Inter-Library Loans Supervisor for Hertfordshire Libraries and been at Hertfordshire Libraries for all my library career and other than a short stint on the 'front line' I've always worked 'behind the scenes' and for the majority of time in Inter-Library Loans. Outside work, I'm a crafter, especially working in Silver and beading, plus card making and now willow weaving, I also read for pleasure and as a reader for the Romantic Novelist of the Year awards and no, romance books aren't my usual reading choice and finally I'm a Longbow archer and now training as an archery judge. There, me in a nutshell....

Use links within your posts
Whether you are linking to other blogs, do it whenever you can. 
Sounds like a good idea, IF, I have something to say that I can think to link somewhere.....I'll work on that one!

Include images
While readers come to your blog for information and personality, they also need to be stimulated visually. Not all posts will lend themselves to an image, but when they do, take advantage of it. 
Well, images...hmm. Well one thing I know I'm not posting and that's photo's of me! Sorry for now your 'visual stimulation' will have to wait.

Respond to blog comments
Not all comments need a response, but be sure to respond to ones that do 
Oh good, an easy one. I can respond to comments, if I get any.... mmm must however remember to check back to see if any comments are received.

Post to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and anywhere else you can
Another easy one, this is all been set up for me.

When Writing a Blog Don't ...

Set unrealistic goals
You know your schedule and abilities better than anyone else, so don’t attempt to post every day if you can’t.
I'm okay on this one, I'm at home this week on annual leave - just chilling, plenty of time to write my blogs. Now what was that saying about 'famous last words'...

Limit your word count
If you have something to say, say it. 
Oh, I will say it....when I can think of something to say!

Make grammar mistakes
And, if you do, correct them immediately. Folks on the Web tend to be more lenient about typos, so don’t stress about it if you do make a mistake.
Well, you'll just have to accept my apologies now on this one, that's all I'm going to say on the matter...

Be negative
It’s generally unwise to air personal grievances publicly (unless, of course, that’s the theme of your blog 
Safe on this, airing personal grievances should never be done publicly and I won't be doing that, but don't hold it against me if a little negativity creeps in to my blogs - it will probably only be against myself so no flaming please.

Write long paragraphs
Long blocks of text are hard for readers to digest, especially when reading on computers and tablets.
Hmmm now how long is long?

Avoid trying new things
It’s important to let your blog evolve over time, and the only way this can happen is if you take risks every once in awhile.
Okay, no worries of me avoiding trying new things - I do it all the time, at work, at home. I've only ever written once before for a blog, so this experience is completely new. Oh no, what have FIL done, unleashing me on the world of blogging, you never know I may love this so much I'll start my own blog and then the world will never be free of me!

Well that's the rules for 'How to write a Blog'. Okay, I think I may be able to manage this, now I just have to think of a subject for my next blog....any ideas anyone?

Tracey Jackson
FIL Committee Member & Newsletter Editor

Hertfordshire Libraries

No comments:

Post a Comment